Over the past decade and a half the U.S. economy has weathered two significant recessions, including crises in the residential real estate and financial services industries. Despite these economic hardships the self-employed and “solopreneur” workforce grew by 4.3 million workers and is projected to continue growing at double-digit rates. Continue reading
According to recent U.S. Census projections and a social recruiting report by Jobvite, Gen Y (also known as the Millennial Generation or just Millennials) is rapidly coming of age and is a force to be reckoned with in the working world. Continue reading
According to a survey released by recruiting software provider Jobvite more than 22 million Americans sought new employment in 2011. Not surprisingly the majority of job seekers used a social network to facilitate their search (54% used Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter) although 86% disclosed having a profile on one of these sites.
Depending on the rate of adoption, I think this could transform the job application process which – as anyone who has applied for a position online can tell you – is a fairly repetitive process. This capability from LinkedIn will allow a job seeker to essentially syndicate their professional profile and within a matter of a few clicks get it into a talent acquisition system quickly, not to mention enable easier networking with those people who might be in your network at the aforementioned company. I’m only surprised that LinkedIn didn’t roll this new capability out with a few technology partners (i.e., Taleo, BrassRing, etc.) signed up to use this as a feature in their systems. Given their market reach I would hope that is on the radar for the good people at LinkedIn or widespread acceptance will be an uphill battle.
- LinkedIn launches ‘Apply with LinkedIn’ button (seattlepi.com)
- Easily Apply Jobs with LinkedIn Buttons (quickonlinetips.com)
- LinkedIn launches job application plugin (gigaom.com)
- Introducing the LinkedIn job applications button (liberatemedia.com)
- Use Your LinkedIn Profile as Your Resume with New “Apply with LinkedIn” Button (blogworld.com)
Interesting perspective on the newest background checks || “I Flunked My Social Media Background Check. Will You?” http://ow.ly/5Cv4A
- This Is a Social Media Background Check (smarterware.org)
- This Is a Social Media Background Check [Privacy] (gizmodo.com)
- Social Media Background Checks Get FTC Okay: Would You Pass? (socialtimes.com)
- Would You Pass A Social Media Background Check? (marketingpilgrim.com)
Good advice for a tough hiring market || “If You Don’t Feel Like You’re Bragging, You’re Probably Underselling Yourself” http://ow.ly/5seDy
The Ladders new service guarantees results || “Not A Scam: Get A Six-Figure Job In 6 Months, Guaranteed–Just $2,500!” http://ow.ly/5rTND