Jason the genius behind Frugal Dad put together the impressive and insightful infographic below that details the state of media consolidation. Broken down into six different categories – consolidation, television, news, radio, movies, and mergers – the facts aren’t pretty. What was once a highly fragmented market with many companies competing on a (relatively) level playing field has now become dominated by six mega-conglomerates who control 90% of what we read, watch, or hear. Not only does this create a poverty of choice in the form of entertainment options but more importantly it creates an opportunity for bias in the news media.
- Largest bankruptcies (marshallstanton.com)
- YouTube’s daily delivery (marshallstanton.com)
- Occupy movement Internet interest (marshallstanton.com)
- Thanksgiving 2011 (marshallstanton.com)
- Girl power (marshallstanton.com)