According to some detective work and quick arithmetic on the part of Darren Herman, 64% of all digital ad spend worldwide is controlled by just five companies. In case you hadn’t guessed from the image above, Google is far and away the leader of the pack receiving over $29.32 billion of the estimated $64.03 billion spent on digital advertising (according to ZenithOptimedia). Yahoo ($6.32 billion), Microsoft ($2.20 billion), Facebook ($1.86 billion), and AOL ($1.28 billion) rounded out the top five with the remaining $23 billion and change going to everyone else. These figures are straight advertising dollars and do not include other fees, virtual goods, software/service revenue, etc.
In case you were wondering just how much influence Google has on the Internet, now you know.
- 2011 Halloween candy sales (marshallstanton.com)
- World population milestone (marshallstanton.com)
- Evolution of branding (marshallstanton.com)
- History and future of marketing (marshallstanton.com)
- Economics of fantasy sports (marshallstanton.com)