While I think it will certainly help the prospects of Motorola Mobility’s Android-based hardware business which has largely lost out to competitors such as Samsung and HTC, the real prize are the more than 17,000 patents focused on mobile technologies that Motorola has in its arsenal.
- Moon shot: Google snaps up Motorola Mobility for $12.5 billion (9to5mac.com)
- Google Buys Motorola’s Smartphone Business (news.sky.com)
- DealBook: Google to Buy Motorola Mobility for $12.5 Billion (dealbook.nytimes.com)
- Google gets into Android hardware business, buys Motorola (gigaom.com)
- Google To Acquire Motorola Mobility (huffingtonpost.com)